Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Cape Town!!

I am now in my home for the next year. Cape Town!! It's so wonderful here and I am very happy in my new job. I had a great/stressful 4 days between Malaysia and SA. I had a wonderful time with my family and my wonderful friends in Guildford had a bbq for me and a brilliant service in the afternoon. Back on the Isle of Wight, I hectically packed up my life in England and squashed it into 20kg in a suitcase. After a tense race to the airport, I had a smooth flight to Joburg with a beautiful stopover in Cairo, it would have been lovely to see the city from the ground and not just flying over it from the air. In Joburg, I had a brilliant stay with Nicky, Tim and Jude and met an Afrikaaner who had been a policeman in the early 90s apartheid and was telling me about how he has adjusted his mindset from repressing the black people to seeing them as equal and accepting them. It was also fascinating gaining the perspectives of local people about how the world cup has affected South Africa. My friend claimed that it was the first time South Africa had seen itself as South African rather than black or white which was wonderful. I am in an internet cafe so I will finish this story later as I have run out of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment